Wednesday, February 18, 2009

De Taali: Great fun despite typical conservative Indian attire of actors

Dr. Gulab Jamun
Bollywood Man Film Reviewer

Like eating honey from a beehive on a warm summer morning or licking ice cream in the back of my grandfather's horse-drawn hay trailer or blasting napalm down my camouflage shorts, comes a film equally as delightful as these things - "De Taali." I must admit I was doubtful that I'd enjoy this film about three friends who must rescue one of their own from the clutches of a devious woman. I thought this would be a film full of comedic nonsense along the lines of South Indian films you find while waiting in line at the local bazaar - slapstick comedy aimed at the groinage region.

But "De Taali" (It means: High Five) may have started along that line but after a few shots of Ayesha Takia's heart-warming brown eyes and Aftab Shivdasani's smile, I was hooked. The tight jeans, the lipsticked pouty lips, the gorgeous soft wheatish body and deep chocolate black hair caused me to forget I was married with five children and made me feel I was 44 and in the Army again. Oh and Ayesha Takia looked marvelous too.

"De Taali" is a funny movie because it uses very skillful actors to not push the comedy too much. It's led by very funny situations that take place in Singapore, which is filmed beautifully by the director whose name I'm unable to spell with any sort of confidence. There is a third actor who essentially drives the story but has a name that requires four lines of my blog so I'll just leave that out, too. The music is rocking as well and the dance numbers are choreographed with such skill and energy that I felt I was in a Singapore disco rather than in my partially converted garage/basement/nuclear bomb shelter. I would also commend the choreographer but her name appears it could contain a swear word in Urdu so I'll just leave it out as well. Just to be safe, yah know.

"De Taali" is only 2 hours and 21 minutes and really is a good time. Yeah, you get some really stupid comedy such as a bit where an uncle tries to train a golden retriever to love him but as we all know that is unrealistic - Indian uncles can't be loved...ever. I think its a law. Anyway, please go rent "De Taali", you'll be glad you did because Ayesha and Aftab are wonderful. And to simply have a chance to catch sight of a scantily clad, dripping moist rock hard body with bulging muscles gyrating to the most awesome Hindi tunes is motivation enough. Oh and Aftab Shivdasani looks good too.

"De Taali"
Starring: Ayesha Takia, Aftab Shivdasani and a few people with big names that I couldn't spell if my life depended on it.
Rating: 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment